Expert Physiotherapy treatments for Lymphoedema Management & Oncology Rehabilitation
Expert Physiotherapist, Gillian Buckley is one of the foremost Oncology Physiotherapists in Melbourne. Gillian has extensive experience in supporting the physical recovery after cancer treatment and specialises in Lymphoedema management.
Early access to specialised Physiotherapy treatment prevents the more serious disabling aspects of Lymphoedema. The most important aspect of Lymphoedema treatment is education and advice about managing Lymphoedema.
Physiotherapy treatment for Lymphoedema, includes manual lymphatic drainage, compression bandaging and low level laser therapy. Other aspects of treatment include compression garment prescription, and Lymphoedema exercise programs.
Effectively reducing the risk of Lymphoedema involves three important components:
- Screening for Lymphoedema before and following cancer surgery is the most important start.
- Applying Bioimpedance Spectroscopy (via the Lymphoedema Index) which can measure and detect lymphoedema, especially during and following cancer treatment.
- Research shows that Physiotherapy supervised exercise programs during and after cancer treatment significantly reduce the risk of developing Lymphoedema.
Lymphoedema is caused by damage to the lymphatic system which results in swelling of body tissue. Frequently occurring in the arms and legs, Lymphoedema can also be present in the body, groin and head and neck regions. It may cause discomfort, reduced function, impaired mobility and infection.
Lymphoedema can arise on its own, or can result from cancer, cancer treatments or leg ulcers or trauma. If untreated, permanent tissue changes can occur.
Physiotherapy Treatment for Cancer Rehabilitation
At Platinum Physio, we are dedicated to improving the strength, quality of life and sense of well being of women and men diagnosed with cancer. As part of our commitment to the well being of women diagnosed with cancer, Platinum Physio offer the PINC Rehab Program with PINC Rehab and Pilates sessions. We offer Melbourne’s broadest range of Cancer rehabilitation and exercise options including a combination of Gym, Pilates and Hydrotherapy for you to choose from. We individualise your care to help you maximise recovery, regain physical and emotional strength, improve body confidence and control.
Our Oncology Physiotherapy and Lymphoedema specialist, Gillian Buckley continues to provide expert Cancer and Lymphoedema management and treatments.
We provide a full range of services designed to care, support and guide women and men through every stage of their Cancer treatment and recovery.
Our services include:
- Specialised Physiotherapy treatment to prevent the more serious disabling aspects of Lymphoedema
- Manual Physiotherapy
- Physical and functional assessments
- Individualised Clinical Pilates
- Tailored exercise prescription and guidance and Resistance training in our Gym and Hydrotherapy Pool
- Fatigue management
Our PINC Rehab and PIilates Program aims to help you:
- Optimise physical and functional recovery
- Ease pain and muscular tension
- Regain strength and mobility
- Increase energy levels and improve breathing
- Strengthen core muscles and improve posture
- Improve physical functioning, maintain independence and stay active
- Reclaim body confidence and control
- Reduce treatment related side effects and
- Shift focus from illness to wellness
Research shows that appropriate cancer rehab exercises are suitable during and after any type of cancer surgery or treatment and we accommodate all ages, fitness levels and mobility. There is strong evidence that appropriate cancer rehab exercises not only help people physically but also emotionally and socially. Exercise can significantly help manage some of the side effects of cancer treatment.
Lilly Kochen, Principal Physiotherapist – “Many women and men we look after, tell us that during the process of diagnosis and treatment they have a terrible feeling of loss of control. Our Platinum Cancer Rehab Physio’s can help women and men gain a sense of control back. We can help women and men maximise their own recovery and teach them what they can do to help themselves. One woman recently described her Platinum PINC Physio as like having a coach in her corner guiding, supporting and helping her through each week of her chemo. Everyone needs someone in their corner that understands the physical and emotional impact of cancer treatment!”