Cancer and Exercise
The importance of Exercise for Cancer has been brought to the forefront of healthcare research and has rapidly developed over the last decade. The release of several recent studies has reaffirmed the importance of Physiotherapy and exercise as best practise care in the treatment of patients diagnosed with cancer!
We now know that exercise DURING and AFTER cancer treatment has benefits for most people diagnosed with cancer and is safe and effective!
What are some of the benefits of exercise during cancer treatment?
There are many benefits of exercising during cancer treatment and during recovery, including:
- Reducing cancer related fatigue and improving energy levels
- Improving and maintaining a health body weight
- Reducing nausea, anxiety and depression
- Improving your mood and mental wellbeing
- Improving muscle mass and strength
- Improving bone mineral density
- Improving your quality of life
- Reduces the risk of cancer recurrence
Role of Physiotherapy
The Clinical Oncology Society of Australia (COSA) has recently endorsed the inclusion of exercise prescription as standard and best practice for Cancer care. In particular, they have recommended that patients diagnosed with Cancer, exercise under the guidance of Physiotherapists who specialise in Cancer care and rehab. At Platinum Physio, we have experts providing PINC & STEEL Cancer Rehabilitation and reconditioning in the perfect environment.
We understand that everyone will have a different Cancer journey and experience so your rehabilitation will be individually tailored specifically to your needs and functional abilities. We work closely with Platinum Physio’s on-site Oncology team of professionals who specialise in Cancer care including Lymphoedema management specialists and Oncology Dieticians
Platinum Physio: Cancer Rehabilitation Exercise Program
Platinum Physio is proud to offer a unique multidisciplinary range of services specialised for patients during and after cancer treatment. Platinum Physio’s Cancer Rehabilitation Program, which incorporates PINC & STEEL rehab, offers a range of options to exercise during or after your cancer treatment. These options are available in a 1:1 or group setting, with one of our experienced Physiotherapists. Your Program will be personalised to help you to achieve your health and fitness goals, whilst we help you to maximise your recovery safely and help you to live the life you love! These include:
- 1:1 Physiotherapy Sessions: One of our experienced Cancer Rehabilitation Physiotherapists will work closely with you to provide individual exercise prescription and treatment. These sessions can include gym based exercise including Pilates, strength and conditioning or hydrotherapy! We also help with fatigue management.
- PINC & STEEL Pilates: Platinum Physio offers the renowned, evidence-based PINC and STEEL Cancer rehabilitation program. These small groups are designed to provide individualised exercise and rehabilitation programs, suitable during Cancer treatment or reconditioning during your recovery. These groups are run by our Cancer Rehabilitation Physiotherapists, allowing you to receive focused treatment, whilst continuing to regain control of your life!