Men’s Health Month at Platinum Physio
The month of November is devoted to increasing awareness of and improving men’s health around the world. Platinum Physio supports this ambitious goal, and it is important to consider your own health, or for the ladies – the health of the man in your life.
The State of Men’s Health in Australia is ailing:
- The average life expectancy for Australian Men is almost 5 years less than women
- 1 in 8 Australian men experiences depression at any given time
- 1 in 2 Australian men will be diagnosed with cancer by the age of 85
- Nearly 2/3 of Australians are obese with men more likely to be overweight than women
- Every hour, 4 men die from potentially preventable conditions in Australia
Men’s health is taking a beating due to numerous and complex reasons:
- Men not openly discussing their health and how they’re feeling
- Reluctance to take action when men don’t feel physical or mentally well
- Men engaging in risky activities that threaten their health
- Stigmas surrounding mental health
- Men are less likely than women to seek help for health concerns
The Movember Foundation aims to change this way of thinking by putting a fun twist on this serious issue. Using the moustache as a catalyst, the idea is to bring about change and give men the opportunity and confidence to learn and talk about their health and take action when needed. So make sure that you seek help about any issue- big or small this Movember.
Platinum Physio supports Movember and although Moustaches may be thin on the ground, the recent launch of our Men’s Gym group at Brighton is a great initiative to help the men in our community stay stronger, fitter and healthier for life. Exercise is a vital aspect of life and forms an important addition to the prevention and treatment of many conditions affecting men throughout their lifespan.
Jarrod Sherwin, Platinum Physiotherapist, has commenced a men’s gym exercise group alongside his men’s hydrotherapy group – programs designed for men, and addressing men’s health issues.
Jarrod’s groups operate weekly:
- Gym – strength, fitness, Pilates 9.00 am Tuesday
- Hydrotherapy – mobility, strength, fitness 9.15 am Thursday
Participants will be assessed briefly prior to commencement and receive an individualized program to suit their needs.
For immediate action on men’s health issues contact