With many Australians now turning their homes into make-do work stations, it makes sense that physios are seeing an increase in cases of neck and back pain. Fortunately, there is plenty that we can do to not only recover from acute episodes of pain, but also to prevent these episodes from happening again in the future.
Some Facts about Neck Pain:
- Neck pain is now ranked the number 1 chronic condition when taking into consideration total years with disability (that’s more than diabetes, heart disease and cancer!)
- 2.5 million Australians will experience neck pain annually
- 1 in 5 adults who were previously pain free will report a new episode of neck pain each year
Unfortunately, the scariest part about neck pain is that after the first episode, between 37-80% of people will have a persistent or recurrent episode. In other words, after your first episode of neck pain, there is between a 1 in 4 and 1 in 8 chance of this happening again.
This is because individuals either do not seek treatment, or their treatment is simply targeting the primary source of pain, and not taking a holistic approach exploring the complex interactions between systems that may contribute to pain. For example, did you know that reduced movement at your upper back could actually be presenting as neck pain? This is actually quite common, and is why simply treating neck pain as ‘neck pain’ will not result in a full recovery
Risk Factors for Neck Pain Include:
- Poor workstation set-up
- Reduced spinal flexibility
- Past history of shoulder or upper back pain
- Poor movement of the shoulder blade
- Poor sleep habits
- Stress, anxiety and depression
- Low job satisfaction
How can Physiotherapy help with my Neck Pain?
Our experienced and dedicated team of Physios are committed to providing you with the acute relief and ongoing treatment that you need to manage your neck pain!
Your initial assessment with one of our Physiotherapists will include:
- A thorough assessment (including history, physical, postural and diagnosis)
- If appropriate, manual therapies which can help to improve your pain after the first visit
- Discussion of the best treatment options for recovery, creation of a treatment plan individually tailored to achieve your health goals
- Education about neck pain and how to best manage your injury
What treatment options does Platinum Physio offer?
Platinum Physio offers many evidence based treatment options delivered by our dedicated Physios:
- 1:1 In Clinic Physiotherapy Sessions – Our physios use a mixture between manual therapies, education and exercise therapies to ensure your recovery is as quick and thorough as possible. This is the preferred method of treatment for neck pain, however we have a number of other options if this is not appropriate.
- Telehealth – If you are in quarantine and are unable to get to one of our clinics, our physios can still offer exercise, advice and education via an online consult. If you are unsure if this is right for you, feel free to call up and speak to one of our physios before booking in a consult
- Home visits – If you are unable to attend a clinic, let one of our friendly physios come to you! Please know that we are extremely committed to providing a safe working environment. As such, we abide by strict safety and hygiene protocols for all home visit sessions
- On site Workstation Review – Let a professional come to your home and set-up your workstation so that it is tailored to your body type and physical requirements. For more information, visit this link here https://www.platinumphysio.com.au/wfh-assessing-your-home-workstation/
- Pilates – Platinum Physio’s supervised Pilates sessions ensure you get the best of recovery, improving your strength and flexibility for your long term posture and health. We are currently running 1 on 1 pilates sessions at a discounted rate due to Covid-19 restrictions.